CTL Engineering History
Shortly after WWII in 1945, Cusick Transport of Collyhurst Manchester was formed. At that time a vehicle repair - maintenance facility for Cusick Transport Ltd (hence the CTL name was born) was established to service their growing fleet of trucks.
The company had regular trips to
With the arrival of William Booth in 1955, who later became MD, Cusick Transport Ltd became CTL Engineering, which, with the purchase of several lathes and radial arm drilling machines had now moved into sub-contract machining.
CTL then moved to a Greenfield site in Bredbury, Stockport, in 1961, and began to establish itself in the service industry manufacturing wire drawing machinery for the likes of OEM Richard Johnson & Nephew (in Manchester) and developing diverse business with Davy United in Sheffield.
In 1971, William Booth carried out the first Management Buy Out (MBO) from the-then owners of CTL which were Imperial Foods PLC. To date the Booth family are still the owners and directors of CTL, and have added some industry specialists to the management team.
Steady increase in machine tool purchases through the 70s increased capacity. In 1973, the first oil & gas related projects were undertaken and by 1981 the first cnc machine tool, a Yamazaki M4 lathe, was purchased and was quickly followed by a Giddings & Lewis cnc horizontal borer.
In 1986 CTL was awarded a £1.8million contract from British Nuclear Fuels Ltd to manufacture centrifuges for uranium enrichment and also won an award for the most quantifiable improvement in the production process following capital investment in a new plant.
After the oil crash of the late-eighties CTL began to look further than oil & gas industries into power generation (Rolls Royce) - Mining (Joy Mining) - Automotive (Ford Jaguar) and transport with London Underground escalator repairs.
In 1998 CTL was approached by Messier Dowty (Gloucester) to take on offload machining of the undercarriages of the Airbus family of aircraft, which led to more demanding projects, resulting in the award of a Eurofighter undercarriage machining contract, which will now run until 2015.